JACKSONVILLE – U.S. District Judge Brian J. Davis has sentenced Andrew Lynn Overheul, 43, of Orange Park, to 20 years in federal prison, followed by a lifetime of supervised …
JACKSONVILLE – U.S. District Judge Brian J. Davis has sentenced Andrew Lynn Overheul, 43, of Orange Park, to 20 years in federal prison, followed by a lifetime of supervised release, for production and attempted production of sexually explicit images and videos of children. Overheul had pleaded guilty on June 7. He has been detained since his arrest on April 20.
According to court documents, on Sept. 17, the parent of a 12-year-old child (“MV1”) contacted the Clay County Sheriff’s Office to report a complaint that MV1 had made about finding a cellphone recording her changing and using the shower in the bathroom at her softball coach’s house. CCSO responded that night and interviewed the parent and MV1. The parent and MV1 said that they were at Overheul’s home earlier that day for a softball team family party, and that the children had decided to have an impromptu group sleepover at Overheul’s home. Overheul told MV1 she could take a shower in the master bathroom, as another girl was using the shower in his other bathroom.
MV1 spotted a phone on the bathroom counter propped up between two boxes, with the camera facing the shower. Upon closer inspection, MV1 discovered the phone was actively recording and she immediately grabbed the phone and stopped the recording. MV1 reviewed the video and discovered that it depicted her, so she deleted the video, placed the phone back on the counter, and called her parents to pick her up.
MV1’s parent sent a text message to Overheul at 8:17 pm indicating they were on their way to pick up their daughter and would tell Overheul about it when they got there. At 8:44 pm, Overheul responded by text message, “Hey we talked with the girls. No one is addmitting [sic] to playing a joke. The others that were in that bathroom said they saw my phone charging but no other phones.”
After interviewing the parents and MV1, CCSO detectives responded to Overheul’s residence early the next day and conducted a recorded interview in which Overheul acknowledged that he was the only person that used or had access and control of his cellphone. Overheul acknowledged that his phone was in the bathroom and claimed he had placed it there to charge.
Agents obtained a search warrant to search Overheul’s cellphone. During the forensic review, agents found two photos of several minor females on the softball team wearing swimsuits and sitting on the floor in Overheul’s living room, dated September 17, 2022, with a time stamp of 5:36 pm. Forensics also showed that at 7:38 pm a search for “canon remote app” was conducted on Overheul’s phone, and then the Canon Camera Connect app was installed a few seconds later. This app allows a camera to remote shoot with live view imaging of the camera from a smartphone. Forensics also showed a search in the evening of Sept. 17, 2022, in the Google Play Store on Overheul’s phone, for two applications which were downloaded. These apps can be used to delete information from a person’s phone.
On Nov. 18, 2022, Homeland Security Investigations executed a search warrant at Overheul’s residence. Numerous electronic devices were seized. Agents discovered hundreds of photos and videos of minors that appeared to have been taken surreptitiously without their consent.
“This individual, in a position of trust, mentorship, and oversight over children in our community, abused this position in the most heinous of ways and will be held accountable for his despicable actions,” said HSI Jacksonville Assistant Special Agent in Charge K. Jim Phillips. “This is another successful Northeast Florida INTERCEPT Task Force investigation that has stopped another dangerous predator from exploiting the vulnerability of unsuspecting children.”
The case was investigated by CCSO, Homeland Security Investigations, and the Northeast Florida INTERCEPT Task Force. It was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Ashley Washington.
This case is brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse. Led by the United States Attorneys’ Offices and the Criminal Division’s Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section, Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state, and local resources to locate, apprehend, and prosecute individuals who sexually exploit children, and to identify and rescue victims. For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit justice.gov/psc.