Fire ‘shatters’ dream to restore historic GCS home

By Don Coble Managing Editor
Posted 8/7/19

GREEN COVE SPRINGS – A potential homeowner’s dream to restore a house in the historic downtown area of town was “shattered” by an early-morning fire last Monday.

Clay County Fire and …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Don't have an ID?


Print subscribers

If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.

Non-subscribers

Click here to see your options for subscribing.

Single day pass

You also have the option of purchasing 24 hours of access, for $1.00. Click here to purchase a single day pass.

Fire ‘shatters’ dream to restore historic GCS home

Posted

GREEN COVE SPRINGS – A potential homeowner’s dream to restore a house in the historic downtown area of town was “shattered” by an early-morning fire last Monday.

Clay County Fire and Rescue was able to extinguish a blaze that gutted the attic at 513 Palmer St. Although neighbors said the handyman was living in the attic, nobody was injured, according to the Green Cove Springs Police Department.

Carmen Wulf said she’s had a lease-to-own contract to buy the home for two years.

“We were working on repairs until we could financially do more. Our intentions were to renovate the house and move back to this 1900s home in the historical district of Green Cove Springs,” Wulf said. “We were purchasing it ‘as is,’ knowing that the plumbing and electrical was going to need to be replaced. The house has character and I was hoping to restore it as close to original as possible. Our dream has been shattered.

“We are thankful that no one was injured.”

Neighbors said the handyman recently moved into the house and he was making repairs. They also said the house had been empty and without power before he moved in.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment