Five years ago, 2015• Rodeway Inn owner Jitendra Patel is given a Dec. 11 deadline to correct safety and fire code violation and to curb the high level of crime to avoid foreclosure – and …
Five years ago, 2015
• Rodeway Inn owner Jitendra Patel is given a Dec. 11 deadline to correct safety and fire code violation and to curb the high level of crime to avoid foreclosure – and the eviction of 100 people who live there.
• Col. Matt Johnson is selected as the new commander at Camp Blanding.
• More than 16,080 meals were prepared for local food pantries during the Hunger Fight Food Packing event at the Orange Cove Seventh-Day Adventist Church.
10 years ago, 2010
• Danielle Judge is selected by the City Council as the new city manager of Green Cove Springs.
• The Fleming Island Golden Eagle Marching Band win the Class 3A band championship in Tampa.
• Lt. Gov-elect Jennifer Carroll assured the Clay County Chamber of Commerce she still intends to live on Fleming Island while working with newly elected Gov. Rick Scott.
20 years ago, 2000
• After saying Clay County election results were “lost” for a week, Supervisor Barbara Kirkman tells the Clay County Board of Commissioners the certified results had been found.
• The BCC learns its “Quality Tax Initiative” application was approved to assist with helping a company build on Fleming Island.
• Green Cove Springs Fire Chief Richard Knoff and Clay County firefighter Kyle Williamson jump into the St. Johns River at the Green Cove Springs pier to save a teen-aged boy from drowning.
30 years ago, 1990
• Police officers with the Green Cove Springs department picket for better wages and working conditions while city officials negotiated with union officials.
• Richard Pyles was arrested by the Green Cove Springs Police Department after they find a pipe bomb in his yard.
• Three are arrested after the Clay County Sheriff’s Office said they help up the Hibernia Jiffy Store at gunpoint.
40 years ago, 1980
• Clay County Tax Collector Wayne Geiger said new tax bills won’t be mailed out until January because he didn’t receive the tax roll in time.
• The Clay County Council on Aging meets to consider building a new senior center in Green Cove Springs.
• Lee Drawdy is voted as the new chairman of the Clay County Board of Commissioners by other board members.