Five years ago, 2015
• Brooks Rehabilitation seeks a permit to build a facility near St. Vincent’s Medical Center Clay County at Old Jennings road and Discovery Drive.
• Orange Park High graduates Tadd Gorman and Blair Guy, both commanders in the U.S. Navy, celebrate an unintentional reunion aboard the U.S.S. Ross.
• The Orange Park Medical gets a new wireless monitoring sensor called CardioMEMS HR System to fight against heart failure and disease.
10 years ago, 2010
• Ray Avery, executive director of the Clay County Utility Authority announces a new fee structure to promote water conservation.
• The Board of County Commissioners consider raising the millage rate from 7.44 mills to 7.72.
• The American Heart Association recognizes the Orange Park Medical Center for its stroke care program.
20 years ago, 2000
• The Clay County School Board approves a plan to build Fleming Island High, with plans to have the school opened for the 2003 schoolyear.
• The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission reports several black bear sightings in northern Clay County.
• Thunderbolt Elementary on Fleming Island prepares to open its doors for the first time to 700 students.
30 years ago, 1990
• The BCC votes to keep the property tax millage rate at 8.3655.
• Clay County Circuit Court Judge Gordon A. Duncan Jr. rules contractors can pull building permits on a temporary basis without showing proof of Workman’s Compensation.
• The Clay County 4-H team finished third in the statewide horse show at Tampa.
40 years ago, 1980
• Nineteen boxes containing 20 meals for the Summer Food Program were found in a dumpster at Carl Hugh Park.
• Local 797, I.C.W.U., set up picket lines at Johns-Manville after negotiations for a new contract broke down.
• Sam Saunders is selected as on the outstanding agriculturists in the state by the State County Agents Association.