Five years ago, 2016• Certified Public Accountant James Kevin Hargnett of Green Cove Springs is sentenced to 20 years in prison for stealing $16.6 million from former clients.• The Mid-Clay …
Five years ago, 2016
• Certified Public Accountant James Kevin Hargnett of Green Cove Springs is sentenced to 20 years in prison for stealing $16.6 million from former clients.
• The Mid-Clay Reclaimed Water Land Application Recovery System is opened in Lake Asbury.
• A $700,000 Community Development Block Grant will allow Orange Park to make badly-needed upgrade water and sewer lines.
10 years ago, 2011
• More than 75 people gather on Abraham Lincoln’s birthday at the Magnolia Springs Cemetery to honor soldiers who died in the Civil War.
• A space heater triggers a fire that caused $100,000 in damages to a home on Hogarth Road. Nobody was injured.
• James Moore & Company tells the Orange Park Town Council spent $200,000 on a solid waste management project without going through the bidding process.
20 years ago, 2001
• Lakeside Junior High’s Paolo Olis corrected spelled “Utilitarian” to win the county’s Spelling Bee competition.
• Optometrist Dr. Robert Timothy Carter pleads guilty to conspiracy to commit arson following fires at a vacation home and three rental properties in 1996 that he owned.
• The Orange Park High boys soccer team advances to the 4A Final Four after Eric Williams’ goal with 31:43 remaining was enough for a 1-0 victory against Lake City.
30 years ago, 1991
• The board of commissioners meet to discuss new language that would prohibit the construction of a bio-chemical incinerator in the county.
• A Clay County Sheriff’s Office deputy shoots a burglary in the neck inside the Copy Right Office Supply Store on Blanding Boulevard after the suspect, Robert James Jackson of Jacksonville made a threatening move toward the deputy.
• The county buys 5.01 acres on Black Creek, adjacent to the Middleburg boat ramp for $110,000.
40 years ago, 1981
• The BCC denies a special zoning request for a bar and lounge on U.S. Highway 17 at Artis Road on Fleming Island.
• The Clay High girls basketball team win she district championship by defeating St. Augustine.
• The Clay County Commission and the Clay County Citizen’s Coalition send the state a letter putting it on notice the county is seeking additional sources for electrical services in an attempt to oust JEA from the county.