GAINESVILLE - The football playoffs are five weeks away, but the football season is past the midway point and area teams can now see the target.The FHSAA has released its five week power rankings …
GAINESVILLE - The football playoffs are five weeks away, but the football season is past the midway point and area teams can now see the target.
The FHSAA has released its five week power rankings that determine the playoff potential off all teams at the halfway point.
Playoffs are determined by a points system based on strength of schedule and past history.
In Classes 5A-8A, 32 teams will qualify with district champions four slots and at-large qualifiers earning the final four slots in each of four regions.
In Classes 1A-4A, 24 teams will earn playoff spots with six at-large qualifiers based on points with top two seeds getting byes into round two of regional playoffs.
Beginning with the 2017 season, district play was to be eliminated in Classes 1A-4A, with teams making the playoffs based on a points system. All 16 playoff berths in those classifications will be determined by a new points system that factors in wins, losses and the final record of every opponent played.
The four larger classes (5A-8A) will continue to have districts and champions will receive automatic playoff bids and will be seeded 1, 2, 3 or 4 within a region - which guarantees a home game for the first round of the playoffs.
Each of those classes will also have 16 at-large bids, four per region, based on the points formula. Those wild cards will be seeded 5-8.
The highest seed will host second and third round region games.
Area teams with still possible playoffs in sight include Oakleaf, fourth in Region 1-7A with region finalist Fleming Island, 5A runner up Trinity Christian, 4A champion Raines, district 3-7A runnerup Buchholz and 6A top ranked, unbeaten and region finalist in 2017 Ocala Vanguard giving Knights a bucket load of points possible.
Fleming Island has Oakleaf, Final Four 7A and district 3-7A champion Bartram Trail and a 4-1 Orange Park left on the schedule to get points.
In Class 5A, Ridgeview got a boost with season opening win over Nature Coast, top seed so far in Region 2, but has district 5-5A gauntlet ahead of them; Orange Park, Menendez, Clay, Baker County to either get big points or lose ground. Orange Park's 4-1 season thus far is a hot target for Panthers. Clay needs to run their table to get in with a final game against 2A runnerup University Christian a possible last game points boost. Orange Park's second half has three teams ranked above them in 5A, plus 7A-Fleming Island.
In 4A, Keystone Heights snuck in last year and will need a strong second half to get in. A win on Friday over unbeaten 1A-Hawthorne would jump start that process with two higher ranked teams also on the schedule.
Region 1 (District 3-7A: Oakleaf, Fleming Island)
1. Columbia 48.00 (District 2-7A)
2. Buchholz 42.40 (District 3-7A)
3. Robert E. Lee42.25 (District 2-7A)
4. Oakleaf 3-1, 1-041.00 (District 3-7A)
Remaining games: 7A-Fleming Island, 5A-Trinity Christian, 4A-Raines, 7A-Buchholz, 7A-Creekside, 6A-Vanguard
5. Edgewater39.75 (District 4-7A)
6. Fleming Island 3-2, 0-138.40 (District 3-7A)
Remaining games: 7A-Oakleaf, 7A-Bartram Trail, 7A-Creekside,6A- EdWhite, 5A-Orange Park
7. Fletcher38.20 (District 2-7A)
8. Lake Minneola37.80 (District 4-7A)
9. Bartram Trail 36.80 (District 3-7A)
10. First Coast36.50 (District 2-7A)
Region 1-7A top team: Columbia 48.00 (District 2-7A)
Region 2-7A top team: Lakeland 44.00 (District 7-4A)
Region 3-7A top team: Braden River 44.75 (District 11-7A)
Region 4-7 top team: Dwyer 42.00 (District 13-7A)
Region 1 (District 4-6A: Middleburg)
1. Pine Forest 45.25 (District 1-6A)
2. Niceville 43.40 (District 3-6A)
3. Navarre42.80 (District 2-6A)
4. Escambia 40.75 (District 1-6A)
5. Gulf Breeze38.40 (District 2-6A)
6. St. Augustine 38.40 (District 4-6A)
10. Ed White35.80 (District 4-6A)
14. Nease32.20 (District 4-6A)
15. Middleburg 1-4, 1-032.20 (District 1-6A)
Remaining games: 6A-Ed White, 5A-Ridgeview, 6A-Nease, 6A-St. Augustine, 4A-Bradford
Region 1-6A top team: Pine Forest 45.25 (District 1-6A)
Region 2-6A top team: Ocala Vanguard 45.00 (District 5-6A)
Region 3-6A top team: Largo 41.80 (District 9-6A)
Region 4-6A top team: Miami Central (District 16-4)
1. Bolles 42.25 (District 4-5A)
2. Godby 41.80 (District 2-5A)
3. Trinity Christian41.40 (District 4-5A)
4. West Florida39.75 (District 1-5A)
5. Ponte Vedra38.80 (District 4-5A)
6. Mosley38.40 (District 1-5A)
7. Wakulla38.40 (District 2-5A)
8. Ribault38.40 (District 3-5A)
9. Suwannee36.75 (District 3-5A)
10. Stanton36.50 (District 3-5A)
Region 2 (District 5-5A: Ridgeview, Clay, Orange Park)
1. Nature Coast 41.80 (District 7-5A)
2. Menendez40.00 (District 5-5A)
3. North Marion40.00 (District 6-5A)
4. Baker County39.75 (District 5-5A)
5. Zephyrhills39.75 (District 8-5A)
6. Ridgeview 3-2, 0-139.60 (District 5-5A)
Remaining games: 5A-Orange Park, 6A-Middleburg, 5A-Clay, 5A-Menendez, 5A-Baker County
7. Palatka 38.80 (District 5-5A)
8. Crystal River38.80 (District 7-5A)
9. Eastside 37.20 (District 6-5A)
10. Orange Park 4-1, 1-036.80 (District 5-5A)
Remaining games: 5A-Ridgeview, 5A-Baker County, 5A-Palatka, 5A-Menendez, 7A-Fleming Island
17. Clay 1-4, 0-133.20 (District 5-5A)
Remaining games: 5A-Menendez, 5A-Ridgeview, 5A-Baker County, 5A-Palatka, 2A-University Christian
Region 3-5A top team: Hardee 44.75 (District 11-5)
Region 4-5A top team: Rockledge 45.40 (District 14-5A)
Region 5 (District 5-5A: Keystone Heights)
1. Dunnellon 38.40 (Region rank 1)
2. Villages Charter37.75 (Region rank 2)
3. P.K. Yonge37.00 (Region rank 3)
4. Santa Fe35.00 (Region rank 4)
5. Mount Dora34.80 (Region rank 5)
6. Interlachen34.50 (Region rank 6)
7. Bradford Co. 34.40
8. South Sumter34.50
9. Keystone Heights 2-2, 1-233.25
Remaining games: 1A-Hawthorne, 4A-Crescent City, 4A-Wildwood, 4A-Villages Charter, 4A-Interlachen, 4A-Taylor
Region 1 top team: Raines 41.20
Region 2 top team: Dunnellon 38.40
Region 3 top team: Avon Park 44.20
Region 4 top team: Washington (Miami) 42.00 (Glades Central No. 4, 39.75)